Sunday, August 3, 2008

sweating on the Great Wall...


Two days ago (Friday to be exact), I was fortunate enough to have the afternoon off. With an afternoon to spare, we were off to the Great Wall (with the US Men’s water polo team). And what better way is there to spend the afternoon?

If I were to use a single word to encapsulate the Great Wall experience, it might have to be “sweaty.” And I even went on a day that more mild than what we’ve seen in the past 2 weeks. For everyone who would like to know, especially my Colorado friends, Beijing and its surrounding area is a pretty sweaty place. To be out and about IS to be sweaty, that’s just a fact of life.

To consider the magnitude of the Great Wall (in terms of length, height, construction time, etc) is one thing, to actually walk on an architectural icon of Chinese culture is wholly different experience. What struck me most about walking on the Wall was the international quality of all its visitors. Here I was traveling with the US water polo team, with Germans in front and Canadians behind us. I wholeheartedly believe that this is just a taste of what is to come, when people from around the world come into Beijing for the Olympic Games. One can only ponder the implications of having the Olympic Games in China….



No comments: